In 1898, William “Clement” Mattingly opened W.C. Mattingly Funeral Home in Leonardtown, MD where he served as owner and funeral director for 42 years. The funeral home passed down through the family until 1988. Clement's son, Robert A. Mattingly, left the funeral home in Leonardtown to start his own funeral home on 11th St, S.E. Washington, D.C. in 1945 where he owned and operated it with his wife, Sue Whelan Mattingly, and his daughter and son-in-law until his death in 1972. Robert's daughter, Jean Mattingly Kalas and his son-in-law, George P. Kalas, Sr. opened the Mattingly Funeral Home in Oxon Hill, MD in 1973 and shortly after Robert's death the funeral home became the George P. Kalas Funeral Home, P.A. successor to Robert A. Mattingly. George P. Kalas, Jr. and Robert P. Kalas, Sr. began working with their parents at the Oxon Hill location in the mid-1970's. In 1994 George P. Kalas III followed in his father's, grandfather's, great-grandfather's and great-great grandfather's footsteps as a funeral director.
In March of 1997, George P. Kalas, Jr. and Robert P. Kalas, Sr. opened the second location of the George P. Kalas Funeral Home, P.A. in Edgewater, MD.
The late Robert Mattingly , Successor
The late George P. Kalas, Sr.
George P. Kalas Sr., and is his wife, Jean were the founders of the George P. Kalas funeral homes in Oxon Hill and Edgewater.
Mr. Kalas married into the family that owned the Robert A. Mattingly funeral home in Washington, D.C. After doing sales work for Sunbeam bread, Mr. Kalas graduated in 1958 from Eckels College of Mortuary Science in Philadelphia and then joined the Mattingly business.
In 1973, he opened its Oxon Hill branch and soon changed the name to his own. The Edgewater branch opened in 1997. He had an active role in operations until his health declined and turned the business over to his two sons.
He was born George Peter Kalavitinos in Washington and legally changed his name when he married. He attended Eastern High School and Benjamin Franklin University.
During World War II, he served in the Army Air Coprs in England and was a crewman on B-24 bombers. His decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross and four awards of the Air Medal.
He was a member of St. Columba Catholic Church in Oxon Hill and Disabled American Veterans. In 1981, he received an award from the Home Plate Club of Washington for his sponsorship of youth baseball teams.
Mr. Kalas died in March of 2006. He was preceded in death by his wife of 56 years, Jean Mattingly Kalas, in 2000.
The Late Jean Mattingly Kalas
Jean Mattingly Kalas grew up in the living quarters of the Mattingly Funeral Home in southeast Washington, DC which was owned by her father, Robert Mattingly. In the early 1960s, Mrs. Kalas joined her parents and husband, George, as a receptionist at the funeral home.
While she never obtained a funeral director’s license, Mrs. Kalas became the official hostess and office manager of the funeral home and helped oversee its move from Washington to Oxon Hill, MD in 1973. After her parents’ deaths, the business was renamed the George P. Kalas Funeral Home. In partnership with her husband, Mrs. Kalas continued to be a driving leadership force at the funeral home until her death in 2000. She is best remembered as the principal ambassador of the funeral home, personally answering the telephone throughout the day and night to offer initial assistance to anyone who called. Her legacy lives on through her sons, George P. Kalas, Jr. and Robert P. Kalas, who own/operate the George P. Kalas Funeral Homes located in Oxon Hill and Edgewater, MD.